Thread: Ruler quilting
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 AM
Monale

Default Ruler quilting

I'm almost completely self-taught when it comes to quilting and learned pretty much everything from the internet. Therefore please excuse my ignorance on this!

I just learned in another thread about ruler quilting. I had come across that term before (probably here in this forum), but have never seen a picture, so I always thought "ruler work" means someone is using a ruler to draw a line and then follows that line - most likely with a walking foot.

Now I have just learned that it is actually FMQ, using a special foot and following the ruler with that foot. I also learned that although straight lines may be quilted, it means one doesn't have to turn the quilt around. Intriguing... I have to confess that I have done that kind of quilting before with my walking foot, and all that turning around of the quilt has been a Lot of work! So I think I want to try this.

I did find the foot here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=569879026761
The vendor tells me that for my machine (Juki) I would need the one on the left (EN-01).

Now my question to the experts: Can I just use my plexiglass quilting ruler (about 3mm or ⅛" thick) or do I also need to buy a special ruler for this?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2018 at 05:51 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps