View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 AM
IrishMom

Default Has anyone made a quilt out of socks?

So my daughter has Tons and Tons of socks, all colors and designs. I was thinking it could be fun to make a "quilt" or blanket out of them. Has anyone done this? Can you give me ideas or suggestions?

I looked on Pinterest last night and didn't see much. I did not like the look of a whole sock on a quilt overlapping with other socks or a drying line with socks hanging from it.

Several thoughts I had. Idea A was to cut the "foot" off the sock and be left with a square/rectangle tube. Then sew the ends closed and then sew the squares together. The pro - I would be creating the front and back of the quilt at the same time. The con - I'm not sure of all of that could be done on my machine. Idea B is to take the sock without the foot part and cut it open and sew the socks together into a top. and then create a quilt with a backing. (the con, how stable would this be?) - how Or C was sewing the sock squares to fleece and use the fleece as a stabilizer.

Obviously I can play with some socks and see how my ideas are working, but if you have any words of wisdom it would be appreciated!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-16-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps