Thread: Jelly Roll Rug
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 AM
AmyBible

Default Jelly Roll Rug

Has anyone made a Jelly Roll rug? I friend bought me the pattern (she is always thinking I need to make other things besides quilts soo......). It's a cute idea and I could use a new rug but... seems like a lot of effort - and a fair amount of expense: The roll of strips plus the batting (I imagine the Bosal strip batting they recommend is pretty pricey), plus the Best Press, etc.

I watched a video (can I say the name? It was a really good video and very informative)... she mentioned that when finished the rug will tend to want to "bowl" up a bit and showed how she pressed it flat. She said because the strips were cut on the straight of grain, rather than the bias, that is why the rug wanted to bowl. Since I plan to cut my own strips from my 680+yard stash, I wondered if I cut them on the Bias if the rug would lay flatter. I know bias binding is much easier than WOF binding (and wears better) so, for those who have made this, what do you think? Am I on to something? Or should I just stick to the pattern?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-21-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps