View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 03:59 PM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

I don't belong to a guild, but, that being said, I go to the show most of the time and have been friends with ladies that have been in the local guild. They have trunk shows by outside well know speakers, small hour long classes you can pay to attend. Separately there is a members "country store" that they sell the members handmade items and used quilting items. Such as patterns, fabric, quilt kits,used sewing machines, and magazines. Plus other miscellaneous items like scissors and hoops or threads and buttons. It is set up like one of the regular booths, except it is for the members. The last hour of the quilt show the whole booth sells at fifty percent off. Which keeps the storage of unsold items down to a minimum.

There is also a huge area of tables where the guild members have donated items to sell tickets for each item on the tables. They draw the name out of large jars that you put your tickets into. (one jar is by each item) This is the last thing they do at the end of the quilt show. There is anything from stuffed animals, a basket with a table runner kit, to a set of machine embroidered blocks or some hand dyed batiks. A really fun and I am sure profitable part of their show. The tickets sell for 3 for five dollars. There is also a guild feature quilt made to buy tickets for too. The proceeds go to the local women's shelter.

The guild does charge a yearly fee to belong. This offsets the room rental in a building they meet at bi monthly and some speakers to come give classes to the members. There are holiday parties and contests between them to make things lively.

The show here used to be three days but has gone down to only two now. And it is held only every two years. You see the guild in carson city( a neighboring city to reno) holds one every other year, so it works out fine and the cost is cut to the guild.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-23-2018 at 04:10 PM.