View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 08:27 AM
bkay

[QUOTE=heartsong1;8116404]
This is going to be a throw blanket, but I want it to fit myself and my boyfriend. I am 5' and he is 5'10".

Please help

Each block is 12" square. He's 5'10". So you want the quilt to be long enough to cover him from neck to tuck under his feet. Let's guess at 6'. That would mean you need 6 blocks on the length without a border. If you figure you need 6'6", then consider adding a 3" border (3 1/2" before sewing).

So that's basically how you do it. Figure out how wide (and tall) you want it to be and round to the next larger foot (or 12", which is the finished (after it's sewed) width and length of each square) or figure adding a border.

So, get out your measuring tape and figure out how big you want it to be. Then figure out how many blocks each way and whether you want to add more blocks or a border to get you to the size that works for you.

BK

Edit: Personally, I would choose the rail fence for the first quilt. You want to make sure you are successful on your first one, or you might never make another one (or finish that first one). The rail fence is easier than the other one.

This is one of my favorite video tutorials and she uses a rail fence as her demonstration pattern. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--vIltDWpl0

Last edited by bkay; 08-26-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: adding a thought