Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by eascusa View Post
On the front or top of my fabric I put a 2 1/2 inch border of yellow fabric on it. And I want to do the same with the back side so it matches up with the front when everything is done.
It's your quilt and you can do whatever you want, but I just wanted to point out that nobody is going to notice or care if the front and back sides don't "match up". It's impossible to look at both sides at the same time, so there really won't be any comparison.

I know from reading about this part that we are suppose to make the back fabric and batting something like 4 inches longer on each side than the front before we start quilting. Correct? I guess this is because as you quilt the top it pushes out or something and you don't want to end up short?
You are "supposed" to make the back and batting 4 inches longer if you are quilting on a longarm, or hiring a longarm quilter. The extra fabric gives the quilt frame something to attach to. I suspect you're quilting on a DSM, so you don't have to worry about this part.

How does anyone do borders?
Well, to be honest, not a lot of people do because it's so difficult to match up. If I were going to attempt it, I'd lay the backing, batting, and top out on the floor, then do the stab-and-match method of lining it up. Take a straight pin, stab it through the seam where the border meets the back, go through the batting and then through the corresponding seam on the front, then pin or baste as usual. However. You may not be able to line everything up exactly, which will likely result in tucks in your top, the backing, and/or folds in the batting. Remember, you're trying to line things up on an x-y-z axis, which is infinitely more difficult than the normal x-y axis.