View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 AM
JJBlaine

Default Giant Dahlia Progress

Recently, I decided to make a quilt for my SIL. She loves Dahlias, and purple is her favorite color. Because I knew I didn't have enough purples in my stashto make every "petal" a different fabric, I was going to mix in pinks. I still was about 20 pieces short.

I posted a request here to trade purple squares. I thought that, if I was really lucky, I might be able to gather some of the fabrics I needed, and would break my moratorium to get the rest.

I have to admit, the kindness and generosity of my fellow quilters far surpassed anything I could have dreamed of. When I laid out all the fabulous fabrics, I was stunned to realize I not only received what I needed, but there was enough to do the whole flower all in purples! Some of the pieces are even large enough that I can use them in the border or in future quilts. I am beyond grateful to everyone who contributed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600175[/ATTACH]

My SIL and I both are in full agreement that it will be even more special because of all of the lovely fabrics from quilters all across the country. I could not wait to get started, and spent the last two days cutting and piecing the center flower. It has a petal from each and every single fabric I received. I am thrilled with how it turned out!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600176[/ATTACH]

I haven't stitched it onto the background yet...I'm going to audition black, white, and maybe some prints and see what it likes before I decide.

Big quilty hugs to everyone who contributed!
Attached Thumbnails 20180823_171713-resized.jpg   20180828_012720-resized.jpg  

Last edited by JJBlaine; 08-28-2018 at 02:18 AM.