View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 05:57 AM
LydiaAlicia

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Oh, I need help in this department. 2 years ago, I moved my scraps into pillow cases, sorted by colour. That at least got the fabric off the floor - until earlier this year when one of the cases was so full it pulled the hook right off the wall!

A few years ago I tried to tame my scraps using Bonnie Hunter's scrap method. I now have 2 bins full of 2.5 and 5" strips from that. But nothing made from them. So that method obviously doesn't work for me.

I have decided to make scrappy "crazy quilts" from all my pieces that are less than about 10"xWOF. I'm digging through my pillow cases and sewing together bits in similar colourways, so I have sheets of new "fabric" made from all those little bits. Then, I'll cut into 10" squares and either just sew them like that, or turn them into HSTs with a common background fabric to unify them. That should get a handle on these bits - if I can just motivate myself to stick to it instead of starting 6 new quilts.
I have tried several methods, kristakz, but in the end always find that just stashing all my scraps, regardless of size or color, in one (well, it became two) big (BIG) bin. That's when I decided to start this challenge. I did find that with scrapping I have a bad habit of starting one quilt, getting bored, and then just laying it aside. What I have done most recently is to start making small throws. The way I scrap is just to dump everything on the floor and pull from the mess what catches my eye for any given project. So far I have diminished my scrap heap by about 1/3.