View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 11:49 PM
SuzzyQ

Hmmm... now I'm wondering about that OBW I started a few years ago. Took a course at the LQS, bought all the fabric there as well so have $120 into it. Instructor insisted we make the 8 piece motifs so we'd have finished pices to see how they'd turn out. Well... three problems. 1. I got ONE layer off by just a hair and it shows. 2. To join the motifs, you need to cut a multitude of squares to put in the "holes" to connect the designs. Which means inset seams.... 3. The fabric I chose was blue and purple pansies on black. And It's VERY dark. The pretty blues and purples are not dominating at all. It is the luck of the layering and cutting... but I really don't like it.
So it sits, rolled up in a flannel sheet...
The only good thing.... another participant chose the exact same fabric. And then bought the rest of the bolt. So I couldn't add it as a border. But we'd exchanged emails because I was collecting scraps for dog beds. A Couple months later, she left me TWO garbage bags from her sewing room. And in that was … her mis-cuts. One of her layers was obviously too short, so one of the triangles was about 1/2" off. I've bordered them in black because I figure it couldn't hurt my pieces.
Maybe I should dig it out and put on my big girl panties....