View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 06:44 AM
joe'smom

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
It has become more important as I have evolved as a quilter AND as the numbers of those who Long arm quilt increases. By that I mean since more people either have their own LA or pay someone to quilt their tops that is the new comparison point. It seems like at least 50% of quilts that you see now are LA. The past few quilt shows I went to confirmed this for me. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but in my mind it has moved the goalposts as to what a finished quilt looks like. Buying a LA or paying someone for the service are not in my budget so I will continue to quilt my own. To answer your question, quilting design is pretty important. I don't choose the quilting design until after my top is completed, but then when I do, I try to choose something that is complimentary to the blocks, or try a motif I haven't tried before. I won't say that the meander is a cop out, its perfectly suitable for many quilts; I just find now that it's not the best motif to give a quilt a WOW factor. I am amazed by what people can quilt with a long arm, so I just try to keep up the best I can. :-)
It makes me sad that expectations about what a finished quilt looks like have been changed by the prevalence of long arm machines. I see so much tasteless over-quilting now. I consider long arm quilting to be a separate art form from hand or DSM quilting because long arms make it possible to do so much more quilting in so much less time; this naturally leads to different design decisions being made.

I like the look of a simple meander on a quilt, and I think a meander works really well for many kinds of quilts. I think the 'WOW' should always be for the quilt as a whole, and that the quilting should serve the design of the quilt top. There's a truly eye-opening book called 'Quilting Makes the Quilt.' The author made a variety of quilt tops, and she made each one several times, and then quilted each one in a different way, so you can really compare the effects of different design decisions.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/quilti...&idiq=28489597