View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Kwiltr

This is an excellent discussion topic! As usual, everyone has their own opinion and they are diverse, but not “wrong”. Ten years ago I had a different opinion than I do now because that’s the direction my quilting journey has taken
me. I started out as a hand Quilter 40 years ago, and now I’m enjoying dense, somewhat intricate machine quilting and like what it can do for otherwise uninspiring quilts. Thank you FelineFanatic for such a well thought out post with examples! I follow much the same process. I enjoy the challenge of figuring out the ‘perfect’ quilting for my quilt. ‘Perfect’ meaning what I like the look of and what I can execute with my current skill set, or am up for trying for the first time. I always try to do something new to me on every quilt to keep myself growing in my quilting and challenged. It gives me great pleasure and satisfaction and keeps me ‘charged up’ .

Having said all this, I feel at it’s most basic, quilting the quilt sandwich is a utilitarian part of the process, there to perform the function of holding the sandwich together. Beyond that, it becomes an art form. We all have different tastes and talents in Art, so it follows that there will be different drivers in our own quilting style and ultimately our quilting journey.

For the non owners of a Longarm.. While Longarm machines can make certain elements of the quilting easier, there are more ways than one to skin a cat! In other words, don’t let your tools totally limit your imagination, because there is amazing quilting happening out there that was not done on a Longarm.

Enjoy the journey where it takes you!