View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 06:52 AM
osewme

Default I want a light weight king quilt(? )

I'm in a "slow" process of making a king size quilt for our bed. I am trying to plan ahead & have decided to quilt as you go the blocks on my domestic machine. I was going to use the Fairfield Toasty Cotton batting for it but I'm beginning to think that it will be to heavy when it is completed. Since we live in Texas & most of the year our weather is hot, I'm thinking I need something lighter for the middle (batting). I'm sure this question has been presented to the board at other times but I don't remember what y'all have said about it. So here are a few questions:
1. Would flannel be the way to go?
2. I am not a pre-washer of my fabrics but should I wash the flannel first?
3. Would Jo-Ann's or Walmart be a good place to buy the flannel? I don't want to invest in a lot more $
as I've already spent to much on it already.
4. If not flannel, what other options do I have for a more "light weight" quilt? I plan to keep it on the bed year round.

I know that many of you have used flannel as batting & would appreciate any & all information you could give me on this. I'm still in the process of making the blocks so I have a long way to go before I start putting them together to quilt but could sure use some help in this matter so I can move forward & purchase what I will be using soon.
Thanks!