View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Jeanette Frantz

I made bed skirts for both my sisters to match their king size log cabin quilts I also made. I used wide-back backing to make a flat foundation that fits between the mattress and box springs. I put velcro to attach the rest of the skirt (the part that hangs from the top of the box springs to just above the floor. As previously posted, it makes it so much easier to remove just the 'skirt' for washing/ironing and starching, if desired. The velcro is plenty strong enough to hold the skirt. One of my sister's bedskirt is box pleats at the corners, at the half-way point between the head of the bed and the foot, and at the half-way point between the sides at the foot of the bed. It provides enough fullness so that the bedskirt doesn't 'bind'. My oldest sister loves gathered fullness, so her king-size bed skirt (just the draped skirt) is quite full -- I used 12 yards of fabric on hers. The thing about making them like this is it's just simple straight-line seams -- I have a blind-stitch hemmer cam with my 403-A, so the hems went really fast, too. It just takes a lot of measuring -- but they do turn out very well.