View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 AM
quiltlady1941

Default Help trying my luck at feathers

I am trying to branch out and try a few different FMQ designs, I got the swirl designs down pretty good but now want to try my hand with some feathers.. I have been watching videos on the internet on how to do feathers and have been practicing on paper..I finally tried doing some on a table runner, I know it's not very good but it's for me so that's ok..
now my question on the feathers, how many times do you go up and down the spine? I am doing what is called bump back feathers, I make the spine and then come down it to start the feathers on one side continue to the top of the spine and then back down to do the other side when I reach the top I come down again, so that would be 4 times going up and down the spine. To me that sounds and looks like a lot of traveling up and down the spine.. So what am I doing wrong? to many times go up and down the spine? How would I eliminate all the traveling up and down?
Thanks

here is a picture of my feathers, I do try and go slow when coming down the spine but most of the time i am off a little and it really doesn't look to good..I guess I just keep practicing and that would be the best thing..
Attached Thumbnails img_1198.jpg