View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 06:41 AM
paintmejudy

Default Are you ready?

Good morning, everyone, and happy Saturday to all. And here we go, let’s sew something!

I am having you make all 96 of the half square triangle blocks now as they take a slightly larger piece than is needed for the next clue. Smaller pieces will be used later. I am also giving you two weeks to make all these HSTs as I will be out of town from the 27th to Oct. 4th. Mix up your colors. Don’t forget you can use the wrong side of your light/neutral fabrics if you want something to look a bit lighter. I do it all the time. As a wise quilter once said, after all, you bought both sides!

The next clue will be posted Oct. 6th. I will have my ipad with me, and will be checking in to see how everyone is getting along, and will be able to respond to any questions posted on the thread.

When doing this week’s clue, you can just mix up the medium to medium darks. You MUST have contrast with your scraps of color and the neutrals. (Save the darkest of the dark-darks for the final week’s clues.). Using accurate ¼” seam allowance, make 96 HSTs that will measure at 3-1/2” after pressing. Trim if needed. Make a sample and if too small you may need to move the needle the tiniest bit to the right. Also check for accuracy in cutting.

I am not going to go into great detail – I’m sure everyone has their favorite method for making HSTs. I also dug into my box of 4-1/2” squares to get a larger variety of colors. And used a few leftover charms. I placed a neutral and a color right sides together, marked a line corner to corner and sewed ¼” away from the line, on either side of the line. I cut on the pencil line and pressed to the dark then trimmed to 3-1/2”. If you do the way the quilt police mandates, cut your squares at 4-1/4”. Or just one of the many rulers available, such as the Easy Angle. If you are using yardage, the Strip Tube Ruler would also be a good choice.

Note: If you are not making this scrappy, use yardage of your medium for this part, along with your light.

Happy sewing! I'll check back in a couple hours to see if there are any questions.
Attached Thumbnails week-2-.jpg   week-2-b.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-29-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps