View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

so many good suggestions. I was determined to do adequate FMQ and stuck to meandering for a long time. As everyone has said it takes a lot of practice but to me I even enjoyed the practice. I quilt for my own pleasure so there is no pressure on me. I started out on a dinky mechanical Brother machine from Costco and it did a nice job, but, of course, small space. I graduated to a used Brother PQ 1500 and I am really enjoying it. A learning curve of course with threads, needles, speed, etc. Even on the little machine I learned the "sweet spot" of speed of machine and my hands. Couldn't always get there right away, but could feel eventually when all was in sync. Leah Day was my first inspiration. And I like Angela Walters, and now Jeanne Harrison has come to Facebook. All great resources. I can't seem to manage to do the drawing as practice. That is a different motion to me. If I had a long arm I think that would work better as a way for me to practice. I use scraps and just quilt the life out of them and that seems to work for me. Have fun with it and don't pressure yourself and it will come. I have graduated from just to meandering and I can do a few different things yet. Feathers are hit and miss. Need more practice.