View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 AM
themadpatter

Default Interesting Singer Trivia

I've always thought it was interesting that in WWII many companies stopped making their regular products and began manufacturing to support the war effort. How did they decide what to make? Many times it was something totally different from their regular output, not just switching from men's shirts to uniforms, for instance. Over the years, I've pondered dozens of questions on the subject, so I was really interested in this article about what Simanco (SInger MANufacturing COmpany, if you've ever wondered about that,) did during the war.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...45-pistol-gun/

Not reflected in the title is the most interesting part for vintage sewing machine peeps: the quality of the craftsmanship of the guns they made was so high that it was decided their ability was wasted on making guns, and after only 500, Singer was changed to making parts for bomber sights, automatic pilots and other precisely machined items. I found it fascinating and thought you might enjoy it.

Maybe this is why we run into those missing records from the Singer factory in Germany when trying to find the date on an old machine- retribution. Ok, that was a joke. Well, sort of...