Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 AM
LadyAg

Default Glue Stick & Freezer Paper Applique Tips Needed (and appreciated!!)

I am new to quilting and have always loved applique quilts, so that's where I'm jumping in! I have tried several methods to create the applique pieces so far, because I wanted to see from the beginning which of the techniques I would enjoy the best. I plan to hand sew the applique pieces in place.

My latest try is glue stick and freezer paper, and I must admit I Love the ease in which I can get a truly well defined edge to the applique fabric, and that it will "stay put" as long as needed. Well, I tried to eliminate having to remove the freezer paper from the back of the sewed down applique by removing the freezer paper Before it was sewed down. I then re-ironed the applique pattern, but when I did that I accidentally ironed in some tiny points where they didn't belong. When I tried to correct this, I wound up distorting the initial shape even more.

Since I am a complete novice, the quilts I hope to make will be functional and washed in a regular washing machine. I am not concerned with the "bulk" that having an extra layer of fabric on top of the background material will cause. I am concerned about material fraying in the wash, which is why I was trying to avoid cutting into the background fabric.

So, after a way too long intro, I hope a more experienced quilter can give me some points on what has worked for you (or not worked for you!) I truly appreciate each response!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-02-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps