Old 10-07-2018, 04:04 AM
Lee in Richmond

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
About 10 years ago or so I got a similar Brother from Costco. It worked very well for me for what I wanted to do, which was have a lightweight machine to take to classes/sewing at my friend's house. I used it for several hundred hours over about 5-7 years and then I started to have issues with the bobbin case. Hard to explain but the entire casing unit would "jump" out of place and get jammed up.

I no longer do garment construction, when I did use it for clothing repairs, it did not handle thick seams/jeans well -- but that was a different model from years ago.

I did a little looking but I didn't find the answer yet, for my model the Costco model number was very slightly different from the standard model.

I do know that the two Brother authorized places I took it to were rather rude and indifferent to my issues. Basically they were both unwilling to help me find the correct bobbins or anything else since I just got a "cheap disposable machine".

I'm still quite happy with the use I got from it, found another similar Brother at the Goodwill still in the box and everything from my first machine (including the quilting bed) fits and works with it just fine so I'm not anti-Brother.
Don't you just hate it when you get attitude for having an inexpensive machine? I sure do! I have two inexpensive Brother machines that do very well for the kind of sewing I do (blouses, baby things, runners, wall hangings, lap-size quilts), and at least I am not intimidated by instructions that I cannot comprehend. If I needed to, I could buy 4 of these for what 1 of 'those' costs, plus my Brothers came with all the feet. I bought one on-line and the other from Walmart.