Old 10-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Iceblossom

Default Sometimes the thrift stores call to me...

No, I don't have them actually call me but this little voice goes off in my head. I do a lot of my fabric shopping at thrift stores I mostly work with scraps anyway and I love the challenge that finding a lovely piece of yardage that is only XX long and what can I do with it. One time when the message came to go to a particular Goodwill I went and found one of the things I was looking for, a metal mail box. Living in Seattle my old box was plastic and would get really nasty algae growths and stuff. Anyway, I went to the Goodwill and there it was, a perfect condition mail box -- with my house number already on it! I mean, what are the odds of that? Anyway, since then I've been listening to the voice.

So yesterday I was supposed to meet up with a guy from Craig's List, he's had an ad up for more than a month selling off scraps/fat quarters from his mom's collection, 25-26 pounds worth. Finally gave in after telling myself for weeks that I have enough fabric, enough from that time period, etc. and convinced myself that I needed some retail therapy (helps to have some unexpected money come in). He had a last minute change of plans but I had already committed to bringing a woman relatively nearby some food (I've been watching the wanted section for a couple of months, had a number of good unopened products that I can no longer eat due to my diabetes) so I figured I'd do that and give in to that inner voice and visit the store that's been calling to me despite being 30+ minutes away from home.

Wowza! There was a lot of yardage and a number of bags. I controlled myself and picked up just one bag, it was $8.00 which I felt was a lot for a bag of scraps but was 20% off and an elephant fabric caught my eye. When I opened it up the first three fabrics I pulled out were a Moda, a Michael Miller, and a Makower (I'm calling it the 3M bag). It just kept going from there, most of the pieces are WOF, less than a yard. And lots of stripes! I love working with stripes!
Attached Thumbnails 100_4246.jpg