View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:25 AM
Iceblossom

Hello fellow readers! I have vision issues so I listen to audio books but the nice thing about that is I can sew and read at the same time. Here in King County, WA (where Seattle is) we have an awesome library system so mostly I get my books as downloads and go through 2-3 in a typical week. I have insomnia among other issues so they are part of my going to bed stuff and then when I wake up I have a couple of hours from 1:30-3:30ish each night.

For insomnia books they have to strike a fine line between interesting enough and too intense! LOL, they aren't supposed to keep me up all night. I used to finish everything I started but I've learned that time is precious and not all books are... With audio books you have the narrator to contend with in addition to the writing, if I don't like it in 20 minutes I give up and move on.

Mostly I tend towards detective/courtroom/spy "adventure" books like the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, or Clive Cussler books, but I listen to just about all genres, fiction and non-fiction, and like some biographies now and then. Just finished are a collection of short stories set in the Dresden Files universe by Jim Butcher (urban fantasy), a book about sleep types called The Power of When by Michael Breus, one of the Charlie Parker books by John Connolly (detective/mystery with a supernatural bent).

Waiting for downloads are Liar's Candle by August Thomas, Mrs. Sherlock Holmes by Brad Ricca, and Changes, another Dresden Files book that I already read but apparently from listening to the short story collection containing things I'm not remembering well The first two are books I judged by their cover, or at least from being on the "recently added" list.

Cash's Mom, I liked the Dan Brown books quite a lot. Have you tried the Sigma Force books by James Rollins? I also liked the Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry (actually I like a lot of his books, but they tend to be more on the horror side of the fence).

Edit: NativeTexan, I've been doing a lot of Swedish/Norwegian mysteries myself, I particularly enjoyed the characters in the Camilla Lackberg books. Also read the Jo Nesbo books, and am working my way through Wallander.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-09-2018 at 07:28 AM.