View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 08:06 AM
rryder

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 View Post
There are a lot of Fiskars-like scissors out there. They have different names and although they look identical, they're not. Each brand seems to have it's own taper on the edges. If your sharpener is Fiskars brand, only use it to sharpen scissors with the Fiskars brand.
Not necessarily. As I said, I use my Fiskars sharpener on many different brands of scissors. The only thing they have in common is that they are inexpensive brands. Several are Fiskars, several are no-name Chinese scissors that came 5 or 8 to a package for $10 (these sharpen up very sharp all the way to the tip using my Fiskars sharpener),some are thrift store finds. I also have a 30+ year old pair of Singer scissors that was so dull it wouldn't cut anything, but after a good long while of working its blades through the Fiskars sharpener, it sharpened up very well.

While the difference some folks are having may have to do with edge angles, it could also have to do with the steel that is used for the scissors blades. Some steels hold an edge for longer than others and can be more difficult to sharpen using a tool like the Fiskars sharpener.

I would not use it on micro-serrated blades, etc. and would not use it with expensive brands like Gingher.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 10-09-2018 at 08:09 AM.