View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 AM
MBentley

Default Dumped my Wonky Ironing Board!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602421[/ATTACH]I tried to make this little table work for so many things. I tried to use it as a sewing table, but without it being a drop in, and being on wheels no less, it didn't handle the vibrations of my machine very well. I've tried using it as a homeschool table, but having to open it up to use as a desk in my school room didn't work well either. I've even once used it as a temporary baby changing table. That was "okay", but there are better options out there.

I had two accidents happen that made this little gem of an idea happen. First, my ridiculously wonky ironing board tipped over and knocked my iron - tip first- into the wood floor. Scratch. And, it took a chunk out of my fairly new and kind of pricey iron. It smells a little when I turn it on now. I. Hate. That. Ironing. Board. It's been banished to a closet that I rarely use because I am so mad at it.

I had used this desk in my homeschool room as a - well...it just held stuff but not very well. It needed to come out anyways.

I went to the local hardware store and asked the nice man to cut a 3/4 plywood (just below cabinet grade) into 19.5 x 38.5. I put 2 layers of Hobbs 80/20 batting and used about a yard of fabric and an electric corded staple gun (3/8 size staples).

Now...Now...this is a thing of beauty. It opens up too so when I'm sewing long strips (binding, apron straps) I can sit down comfortably and iron away. Also, the flip up table acts like a staging area (or general place to put strips, squares, etc) and acts as a solid place to rest the iron. As for height, it's short enough and happily on wheels so I can roll it over to me when I'm piecing/ironing next to the sewing machine.

As a bonus...I had a little (okay, a lot) of excess plywood and I had the same nice hardware store man to cut a 36 x 48 piece out too. I repeated the same batting/fabric/staple scenario (that's the butterfly one) and now I have a seriously huge one for ironing full width of fabric sections. How fun is that?!

BTW: in full disclosure....my sewing room is never this clean. But I was having so much fun with my new storage and ironing board top.

Update: It also now acts as perfect side arm to my sit down LA (Viking Platinum 16). And I didn't have to pay for the side wings after all. Ha-ha!
Attached Thumbnails img_7672.jpg   img_7677.jpg   img_7674.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-11-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps