View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 PM
craftyjulz

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
What method does everyone use for the quickest four patches?
I found one I hadn't seen before where you cut the fabric 1" bigger square than you need the finished four patch. Put the fabrics together and sew down opposite sides, then cut up the middle and iron open, put back together good side to good side so they are opposite colours and sew opposite sides and cut up the middle and you end up with 4 four patches. Trim to size. Seems pretty quick once you get going.
What's your quick way to do them?

Watson
Do you have a link to that way of doing 4 patches? I’d like to try it. As my previous post says, I really had a hard time with trying to use exactly 2” wide strips to piece the 4 patches & lost 16 of them due to them not measuring out big enough in the end. I’d say I’m more of a confident beginner since, despite starting to quilt way back in 2005, I’ve had to take breaks of years & I sew really slowly because of my disabilities. I’ve only completed about a dozen quilt tops. It’s nice to report that I’ve sewed more in the last 2 months since I’ve got my “new to me” Bernina, than I have in the last couple of years all together. Anyways, I’m still learning lots of basic techniques so any advice on how to better make these 4 patches, even though I’m done for this project, would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone could direct me to a place that shows you a formula on how to make flying geese easily I’d appreciate that too. I’m trying to make these blocks for another personal project & don’t like using triangles sewn to triangles to make flying geese because the stretch you get because of the bias cut. I’d rather use rectangles & small squares to the corners that you sew on & then cut off the outer pieces but I’m not sure how to get them to come out the size I need, 4 1/2 wide I believe.

Thanks, Julz