View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 04:48 AM
rryder

Due to multiple commitments etc. (like most people here) I often feel that I’m running just to stay in the same place, esp. when it comes to my artwork and quilting. One thing that helps me when I’m in a period where I cankt seem to manage my time is to come up with one or two small goals that will move a project forward. And then list the tasks that I need to do to meet those goals. For example, my goals in my studio today are: 1. get some paintings that are destined for a show wired to hang and 2. Make some progress on the t-shirt UFO that’s on my design wall.

in order to accomplish goal #1 I need to measure, mark, drill holes for screw eyes and insert them, then cut picture wire to size wire and add it. Last night before going to bed I found a space to set them up along with all the tools and materials I would need to accomplish the goal. I can do it all at once if I have a large enough block of time today, or a little here and there as any one of the individual tasks only takes a few minutes if everything is already set up.

Goal number 2- making progress on the t-shirt quilt takes a little more thought, but I know that I need to square up the parts that are on my design wall, stabilize the remaining t-shirts and cut them so I can finalize the design and begin measuring for the fill strips. I won’t have a large block of time to do all this, but I can find time here and there to square up the already stabilized blocks and maybe also get the last few t-shirts stabilized and rough cut.

all projects are different, but for me setting goals and breaking them down into small steps really helps when I’m in a time crunch because it helps eliminate the amount of time I spend in my studio looking around and wondering “where do I start”.

Rob