View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 10:36 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default Gail's Asian circle quilt

My friend Gail saw a quilt I made and posted on the QB several years ago Showcase of Asian Fabrics made and quilted by feline fanatic

Like me, she also has a love of Asian prints and was inspired to make one as well. She loved it so much she made a 2nd one for her good friend who is a Buddhist teacher and had me quilt it for her (I also quilted her first one but never got pics of it). Each of these quilts were quilted differently. All the circles are turned applique and hand sewn. As an aside, I am also making another circle quilt like this for my DH who was disappointed when he found out the first one I made I was sending off to my mom. It is languishing in my UFO pile but I will finish it, hopefully within the next year.

Because her friend is a Buddhist teacher I researched motifs significant to Buddhism. In between the circles I quilted lotus blossoms and in each of the corners I quilted a Dharma Wheel. The Ginkgo leaf borders were in keeping with the Asian theme of all the fabrics. All the circles are ditched as well as the inner borders and the large square on point formed when Gail changed fabrics. I loved that touch, so much so, that I wanted to emphasize it by changing design to an Asian style cloud.

Techy details
Batting: 1 layer of Hobbs Tuscany wool
Thread: Glide in color Cleopatra in the top and magnaglide prewounds in the bobbin (Tuscan is the name of the color of the bottom thread). The Cleopatra Glide is very shiny and could almost pass as a metallic. It really helped compliment all the metallic in the fabrics and positively shimmers under direct light.
Quilting time: 31.5 hours
Marking time: approximately 6 hours
Design and research: I never keep track but easily another 6

Here is the whole quilt taken from a few different angles:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602494[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602495[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602496[/ATTACH]

Some closeups of the quilting:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602497[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602498[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602499[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602501[/ATTACH]
And a gratuitous back shot. The wet spot is from me spraying the top to get some wrinkles out of the circles from being rolled up on the take up roller.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602500[/ATTACH]

As always, I look forward to your comments. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails dsc06443.jpg   dsc06444.jpg   dsc06445.jpg   dsc06446.jpg   dsc06428.jpg  

dsc06434.jpg   dsc06451.jpg   dsc06407.jpg