View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM
SuzzyQ

I lost one of the tiny diamonds beside the centre diamond in my engagement ring after 7 years of marriage. Cost around $100 to replace it. Not enough to claim on insurance. Now I get my rings checked every couple of years.
BUT I have a funny story re: wedding/engagement rings - before one of my surgeries - the first at a major hospital I was told both rings had to come off. At our local hospital, they just taped fingers together before surgery and I took it off when I was coherent. I only left my wedding band on. Well, it had been many years since that band had left my finger and we could not get it off. Tried everything. I was only leaving the house in a wheelchair (I live in a rural area) so I call the jeweler in the town about 15 minutes away - could he come and cut it off my finger. I explained the situation to him but he couldn't come due to insurance reasons. So my DH got his Dremel tool and guarding my finger with a metal nail file, proceeded to grind/cut the ring off. Took a while as the area kept getting hot! But we got the ring off. There is probably gold dust in that recliner. Took the ring to the jeweller to have it resized and fixed. He took one look at my poor bend and twisted ring and said "What the hell happened?!" My DD replied "Well you wouldn't come to the house..."
He charged around $100 to build it back up and size it AND checked my engagement ring and polished everything at the same time. No charge for the extra gold required.

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 10-15-2018 at 04:23 PM.