View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 12:32 PM
tropit

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I adore peppers and chilis. The crazy thing about shishito peppers is there can be a rogue hot one. Even the same plant will produce all sweets and suddenly, wham, you bite into a hot one. I also cook them like you, a drizzle of oil then on the grill. For ease of turning I put them on skewers.

Try making what I call "naked Chili Rellenos" Rather than doing the egg batter and fry, stuff them and pop them in the oven. All the flavor and a mere fraction of the calories. I make a bunch of them when the Poblanos are ready and freeze them prior to baking. You can pop them into the oven frozen and they are ready in half and hour. Love them! I use a mix of cheeses all grated up. If I can get my hands on Queso Chihuahua I will use that but it is hit or miss in my area and I have found Monterrey Jack and Muenster with a little mozzarella a good blend. I add in some chopped tomatillo and lots of cilantro, some finely chopped onion or scallion and some cumin. I then compress the mixture in my hand and stuff the pepper. So yummy!

I also make my own enchilada sauce when I have time, both green and red. For red, I order dried Ancho, Mulato and Pasilla from the Spice House (known as the "holy trinity" of mexican cooking) and make my red sauce from these. So much more flavor than canned but I do like canned too and also like Victoria. But the canned can't compare to the flavor and depth of home made. Ancho and Mulato are both made from Poblanos. They are dried at different degrees of ripeness. http://benitosmexican.com/news/mexic...-holy-trinity/

Edited to add, this year was the year of tomatoes in my area. My tomatoes did so well, I canned over 40 quarts of my sauce and have another 10 quarts of whole or chopped in the freezer.
I've made a sauce with those chiis a long time ago. The Mulato really added some depth of flavor. Do you have a recipe to share?

~ C