View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Iceblossom

Thought I'd add since previous message wasn't clear that I did buy the grandmother's fan template that I linked above. I have cut out most of the fan blades but I haven't yet assembled them.

The quilt will be for me, it will be my November quilt (I have a long-term goal of having a different theme quilt for me for each month of the year). It's going to be in fall colors from golden yellow/beige to rusts and reds, to dark non-bright greens, and browns. I'm still not quite sure how I'll put the top together, whether I'll be on point or not (probably will be), whether I will use sashing (probably) or alternate blocks or whatever. I do know that I shouldn't need more than 26 blocks no matter what I do so that's my starting point. I'm trying to have each blade be a charm (a single piece) but am cutting 2 of each fabric in case I need more blocks.

The "pie" pieces I have also cut out, fussy cut from a Thanksgiving turkey fabric. I will be using a solid foundation piece which is a sandy print with bird tracks -- probably meant to be shore birds but I say are turkey tracks. And I will use what I am calling the Eleanor Burns method of using 1/2" rickrack for the curves, both for the fan blades and the pies. On the top side of the fabric you sew rickrack along your 1/4" seam allowance, I chose basic white. The rickrack is already bias and so you use it to help turn the curves. Then you stitch it down to the foundation block, first the fan blades, and then the pie piece. The rickrack will then add a textural element. Clear as mud, eh? LOL here's link to a video by Eleanor, the rickrack part starts around 18 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktzb2wMMwzc