View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 04:58 PM
aborning

I just did this for my daughter's wedding in September and I still have to assemble the blocks to make the actual quilt top now. I cut 4 1/2" squares of Kona "Bone" colored fabric for the center of the block. My daughter wanted various prints of burgundys for the outside of the blocks. So from each burgundy print I cut 2 strips at
2 1/2"x 4 1/2" and sewed them onto each side of a "bone" square. Then I cut 2 more strips at 2 1/2" by 6 1/2" and sewed them onto the top and bottom of the square. Now I had a completed block with the "bone" color in the middle for the Guest to sign on. I made 100 blocks so many were made with each burgundy print. I just had fine tipped permanent markers at the table for them to sign the blocks. I used green floral tape to tape a flower onto each marker and put them into a can so it looked like flowers in the can. The markers didn't "walk away" this way. The blocks (to be signed) were stacked in a container and we had another container for the Guests to put the blocks in after they signed. I did iron a 4"x 4" piece of freezer paper to the back of the "bone" center fabric on each block. This made it much easier for the Guests to write on the fabric. We did have someone standing at the Guest Book to advise the Guests what to do. Most people did more that just sign their name. Some drew pictures, some gave funny marriage advice, etc. It was fun to look at all the blocks the next day. Now I need to actually sew the blocks together to make the quilt top. I am a longarm quilter for Customers and I knew I did not want to have any kind of unfinished block because I quilted a signature quilt for a customer once and the blocks had been unfinished blocks that were at the wedding, and many of the Guests wrote right out to the edge of the fabric so that when the blocks were actually sewn together, the writing was sewn into the seams so you can't see it all. I do not know how to post pictures on here so am unable to put a picture on here. PM me if you want more info and I can them send you a picture on facebook if possible.