Thread: Unquilting
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 AM
NJ Quilter

Default Unquilting

Asking the experts here...

I have a dear friend - and my quilting mentor - who is no longer able to quilt. I am helping her finish up a couple of UFO's. Just finished hand quilting and binding her youngest grandson's quilt.

Next project on the list is to finish hand quilting a flannel quilt that she started several years ago for her DH. Front and back both LQS quality flannel with Quilters Dream 100% cotton batting. Her stitches are very tiny and very precise. This is actually just a hunting scene panel (I think) with some other blocks surrounding it. It is a large lap size.

She started - very ambitiously - quilting the outlines of every shape and image and then, by her admission, just got lost in that process and put it aside. She said I was welcome to rip out her stitching and do whatever I liked - or continue her process. Honestly, it's almost impossible to tell where she has stitched.

I'm more inclined to rip out what she has done and start over but I'm fearful that trying to 'unquilt' the flannel will destroy the fabric. But I also think that I won't be able to continue with her plan and have it the way she intended or do it justice. And I'd like to get it done in something under 2-3 years, lol!

So folks, thoughts; hints; clues? Any input will be greatly appreciated.