View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 10:27 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
My grandmother did, she put it on the wagon and took them to the porches and porch stoops. Old homes didn't have outside faucets, they were lucky to have inside faucets with running water. My grandma had a hand pump at an old sink in her kitchen, even after they put in running water. Grandpa used that to clean up after milking and chores. They had no indoor bathroom until 1956. So see, it's not surprising to me to hear that lingo was written in a cookbook under household hints. Farm life was 'different' than city life.

My great, great aunt was born on a farm in N. Dakota Territory She had had enough of farm chores and brutal winters and moved west around 1900. She worked as a cook for wealthy families in Pasadena. I was fortunate enough to inherit her Boston School of Cooking cookbook. There is an advertising section in the back of the book where she wrote notes and put stars on the ads of products that she coveted s/a a gas burning range, washing machine and an electric butter churner. So sweet! She lived in the city the rest of her life, enjoyed every minute and never looked back.

~ C

Last edited by tropit; 10-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.