View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Iceblossom

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
Most of what I have read about quilting suggests starting in the middle of a quilt and working outwards. The baptists fan is something that I'd really like to master but have been worried about starting at one corner incase I end up with wrinkles as I progress up the quilt. I generally spray baste for speed, as almost all of my quilts go to the Linus Project.
I just finished a rather large child's quilt (smaller than a twin/larger than a crib) with a Clamshell design, so Baptist Fan simplified I've used the design before as well. I was sort of fussy where the rows went and I have vision issues so I marked the design on parchment paper I get from the dollar store and sew through it, I've done this a lot so am used to it. In something crib sized, I have had no problems working from the bottom to top.

I've been using a long arm for the last couple of years and was seriously out of practice on my little old sewing machine and had a lot of problems that were me problems. I wasn't at all happy with my workmanship, but again -- that was a "me" problem.

But what I found out was that it was much easier going from the bottom to the top than from the top down as I started so I was happy with where the clams would end. Figured it wouldn't matter since it was all marked and safety pinned securely but I was wrong. It was much easier to make the arcs and connect down to the previous rows. I started at the top and did about half, then went from the bottom and the bottom was better but not just from the amount of practice I got.

Picture of that project is towards the bottom on page 3 of this thread:
Virtual Quilting Weekend--10/5-10/8/18

BTW, that top is completed now but not yet given to the recipient. The problems with the thread tension did get a bit better after I washed it so the dark blue from the back doesn't come up to the top quite so much. My stitching is still wonky and I am definitely not going to try to quilt on my old machine ever again!