Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Grazy Granny

Gotta love those old Kenmores. Most, if not all of the 158 series were designed and built in Japan and are wonderful, sturdy, and dependable machines if well-maintained. They are well-designed and have virtually no plastic parts which makes them very heavy, but is also why they're so reliable. They'll run and run and will sew through virtually anything including heavy canvas and leather.
I have a 158-14001 which is the same model Mom bought in bought me 1969 or '70. I was in heaven back then because not only did it have a zig-zag stitch, it had a stretchstitch too!. Polyester double-knits (that we wouldn't dream of wearing today) were big back then and I made a wardrobe full; all possible because of the stretch stitch. I used that baby for YEARS. I used it to make my wedding dress, my daughter's wedding dress and a wedding dress for my daughter's best friend. I gave it away (silly me!) about 20 years ago but got nostalgic for it and found a refurbed replacement online. It works beautifully despite it's age and will probably outlive me. It's now my go-to machine for piecing, mending, and anything else I want to do when my big Brother quilting machine has a project under the needle that I don't want to remove for a little job.