View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 AM
mpspeedy

Hi all,

Our local cable company carries Simply Quilts but they have been playing around with their whole schedule on HGTV. Some days it is not on at all and others it is at a different time.

They are no longer making new shows anyway. Fortuneately over the years I have taped as many as possible. In the last year or so I acquired a DVD burner and copies all of my quilting tapes to DVDs. I still have some of the orginal Simply Quilts shows on VHS tape in anyone would like them.
Our local PBS station carries Fons and Porter at 6:00am on saturday along with Kaye Woods and then Nancy Zinman. At least once a month they change the schedule to do their fund raising. It drives me nuts. I also taped a lot of those shows and moved them to DVDs.
Since I am still a craft, home and garment sewer I still enjoy Nancy Zinmen and have a lot of her instructional tapes. I also have an embroidery machine and instructional tapes on that subject.

I belong to a professional quilting group as I am a hand quilter for hire. They are just as worried as any quilter about the lack of quilt shops. It looks like online shopping is going to be more and more the norm. The part of the quilting industry that is growing the most is long arm quilting. I would say that more than half of the professional organization I belong to his made up of long armers for hire. Another large segment is Art quilters. While they do magnificant work and I have done some it is still not what I consider a quilt. Some of them have so much thread work and or embellishments they are stiff as a board. I like a quilt that is good for cuddling.

We can only hope the pedulum swings back to handwork, sewing and quilting in our lifetimes.

Mpspeedy
rural Maryland