View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 06:23 AM
Macybaby

Anngel Anne, I don't worry about that. I wash on gentle so it's not beat to snot, then take them out and pull off any really long thread globs. I've found when the thread is wet, I can break them without a mess, so I stopped using scissors. Sometimes I'll have quite a handful after washing if the fabric was cut off grain, and sometimes I'll have very little. I don't wash precut strips, but do wash layer cakes and charms.

As I am taking the fabric out of the dryer, I take out one piece at a time and make sure it is fully open and not twisted before tossing in the dryer. I have a pretty large washer without a center agitator (works better than when I had the old one with the agitator) and can wash 10-14 yards of fabric at one time (this is most oftem 3-4 peices, though I do color sort). I think the largest I did was 10 yards of extra wide backing as one piece. That was a lot to untwist out of the washer, and I did have to unroll it a couple of times during the drying cycle. I have DH help me fold the big stuff up - glad I have enough room in the house to do that.

I buy mostly for my stash so loosing a bit isn't a problem. I loose very little to fraying, I "loose" way more to shrinkage. I prefer to wash out excess die and other processing chemicals before I handle the fabric. I don't use starch as I prefer to work with soft fabric. I sewed lingerie for several years so bias or stretch is not an issue for me.

I dry until just dry. Some driers don't have an actual low heat setting. My old dryer had hot/cook/incinerate even though it was labeled Cool/Medium/Hot. I toss a nice big cotton towel (dry) in with the fabric as it seems to dry with less wrinkles that way. I take it out immediately and fold it. That helps to smooth out wrinkles. Unless I have something really bad, I don't iron until I am going to use the fabric. With lower heat, short dry times and the towel, I rarely have wrinkle problems.

BTW - I rough fold out of the washer, but I do make sure I get the center fold correct and the fabric laying smooth. Then as I have time I unfold it (not the center fold) and ruler fold it to put in my stash. When I am ruler folding, I'll trim off any longer threads that are still hanging off the edge.