View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 AM
Iceblossom

When the poly fabrics first came out many quilters embraced them for the shine, the bright colors and the lack of ironing. I used blends and designed/made a number of quilts with and for them.

I mostly work in planned scrap projects now and have worked to eliminate the poly blends from my stash for a variety of reasons. One is that the polys tend to be very slippery, I already say that fabric is treacherous. Another is that I use a very hot iron, typically set on linen and I've had scorching or other problems with a high poly content. Third was my greatest quilting disaster, I had designed a quilt in a very mature set of colors in grey/silver, maroon and dark blue with bits of white. The maroon fabric had been prewashed but something was wrong in the manufacturing process and the dye just did not set. The bits of white turned into baby pink but some of it was a poly blend and those stayed bright white (which almost made me swear to always use poly blend white)... Gloom and despair! I posted a picture of the offending fabric in another thread, here:
Cutting the selvages off fabic

In quilts where I had mixed textiles, the poly pieces typically held up about the same as the cotton, typically wearing a bit thinner but staying whole, I would have some piling occasionally. BTW, I've never had issues with quality rayon mixed in with my cottons, avoid the thin stuff.

Final thought, one charity I made quilts for preferred poly for the homeless as it drys faster and holds up to rough use. I don't find much polyester double knit at the thrift stores any more but I found an awesome piece years ago that I used for the back of my "ugly tie quilt" which was a crazy quilt made mostly from textured pieces of 1970s big wide bold neckties. That was a tremendous huge leopard print, I think from the 70s... don't know what on earth it would have been intended for, maybe some sort of big bell bottomed suit for Huggy Bear (Starsky & Hutch). While some of the finer pieces of the quilt have shredded, that back will withstand a nuclear attack!