View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 04:28 AM
DawnFurlong

Default Batik fabric and needles - confused

This is my first quilt using batiks. Also, after years of using primarily Universal needles (sometimes Quillting needles) - 80/12 - I'm confused as to what should be the driver in picking the needle for free motion quilting. I have seen that all sizes and types are used. I have stuck with primarily Universals simply because it seemed to work fine on my machine and I didn't realize that I might get even better results if I paid more attention!

I am using a variegated Aurifil 50 wt thread. I understand that batiks are more tightly woven. In my trials of needles on non-batik fabric, I have seen nice results with a 90/14 Top Stitch. But the needle is bigger - and I am worrying about whether the holes left in the batik fabric will close up when washed. I did try this needle, and it worked fine, but the holes... Also, I think that is a bit larger than technically needed for my thread. So wondering if maybe an 80/12?

OR...

I have seen Microtex Sharps recommended (descriptions of needles indicate they are good for batiks and also leave smaller holes). Yet it also indicates that these needles are thinner. For FMQing batiks, will this be a bit flimsy? I'm not sure I quite understand the difference between the sharps and top stitch needles.

Do I stick with 90/14 (for tightly woven fabric and quilt fabric)? Or do I go down to a 80/12 because I think that is appropriate for my thread? But will it be not as well suited to the fabric? Top Stitch or Microtex? Will the holes kind of disappear at least somewhat when I wash?
Attached Thumbnails batik-quilt-front-med.jpg   batik-quilt-back-med.jpg