Thread: FMQ help
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Ellen 1

Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
Trying to learn to FMQ and ran into a challenging situation with my last project. It has been suggested that to help hide stitches, use a matching thread. My problem...the stitches were so hidden I had difficulty seeing where I had stitched. With the printed fabrics and the thread color I used, I couldn't see what I stitched and when I wanted to echo, I couldn't see the stitches I had already sewn. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
OK here is the solution: As Tartan said in her comment. “Sidelight”. I use this with my longarm, I turn out all the lights near my machine, EXCEPT for the sidelight. The light coming from the side instead of the top of the quilt top “shadows” the quilting and enables you to see where you have prior stitches. The sidelight idea would work on a domestic also. It all is dependent on where your light source is coming from. Try. Placing your light behind you machine head. If that does not work because of the size of your quilt, etc, etc. try moving it to a different place until you find the good spot. The little LED’s under the head of the machine are good for piecing but do not help as much with the quilting. :-)

For those of you that are longarmers, Jamie Wallen has a YouTube demonstrating how to make the sidelight. I use my sidelining on almost every quilt because I like to blend my threads. Depending on the fabric, I cannot see the previously quilted area very well. Prior to the sidelight, I would run my hand along ahead of the machine to “feel” where I had already quilted. I no longer have to do this. Hope this helps.