View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 04:35 AM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Your quit is beautiful!

Try a small quilt sandwich matching fabric and batting types. Then try the different needles and check the results. Write the needle size/type on the sandwich sample for later reference. Each project is different and the results can vary. The Topstitch 90/14 have been recommended by some quilters.

Hope that helps!
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I like the idea of trying out different needles on quilt sandwiches. My best guess based on experience is that 80/12 microtex would work well. However, a lot depends on you FMQ technique. If you quilt fast you might need to move up to a 90/14 microtex to prevent the needle from flexing as you quilt. I prefer microtex because of the smaller holes and sharper point. I will switch to topstitch if I am having trouble with the thread. Aurifil 50 never gives me trouble, though, which is why I would choose microtex.
Thank you! I picked up a Microstitch 90/14 needle yesterday (store was out of 80/12). Going to try to pick up an 80/12 today. I also picked up 80/12 Topstitch needles to compare. I would say I quilt at a medium speed. So probably good to try both sizes. I have a few extra squares from the top, so will give it a whirl with different needles to see what works best.

I will say it felt different (and sounded different) quilting on the batik (I tried a topstitch 90/14). It's like I need to figure out my speeds again, because I was getting smaller stitches than I normally get. A little too small. I've got to slow down from my normal speed I think, it seems a bit more difficult to move the batik through.