Old 11-03-2018, 05:30 AM
Lena1952

I taught my 12 yo GD to sew last year. I had her sew on the lines of paper first to learn how to control the machine. Then we made a pillowcase in fabrics she had chosen. As was stated earlier, it is a great way to make something useable and quickly finished. The next day we made a small quilt for her bed. She chose the fabrics on a shopping trip we made earlier. I chose the pattern of bricks so ther would be no seams to match (keeping it simple). She was so excited she did not even want to stop for lunch! The quilt top was finished that day and the next day we layered and machine quilted and bound it. She was very proud and still uses her quilt and case several years later. The only part she did not do was use the rotary cutter. She has a vision issue and I thought it best for me to do the cutting. I told her the RULE in my studio was: no bleeding on the fabric! She still quotes this to me! LOL I hope you are able to instill the love of sewing and quilting in your grand daughter. But have fun and enjoy your time together regardless of whether she learns to like sewing or not.