View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 08:24 PM
audsgirl

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon View Post
I want to have a cookie party so although I think buttercream frosting tastes better, I am learning about how to make good royal icing because it hardens and is glossy for decorating sugar cookies. I am also learning some flavors make it taste better.

Does anyone here have a favorite flavor of royal icing?
I have a recipe for a cookie frosting that hardens, but doesn't get rock hard. It uses white corn syrup. I let the cookies sit overnight to firm up before putting them in a container. The recipe comes from a book called "Decorating Cakes and Party Foods" by Louise Spencer. I usually double it to use on my favorite cut-out cookies, which I also double.

Cookie Glaze

3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
¼ cup warm water
1 tablespoon white corn syrup
¼ teaspoon flavoring

Mix all ingredients together until well blended and smooth. Spread quickly over cookies and allow to dry thoroughly before decorating with Royal Icing. If glaze is too thick to spread easily, add and stir in a few drops of hot water.
Yield: ¾ of a cup or enough to cover about 36 3" cookies.

We don't use Royal Icing. We color this glaze and frost the cookies with various colors. They aren't the most refined looking cookies, but we like them. My kids used to help with the decorating, and my son would do it if he were able to be here when we do it, but my husband gladly pitches in.

Leslie