Thread: Bleached Muslin
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Most of the fabric in my stash is "older" - by about 20 to 30 years or so! So - I admit that my observations are probably out of date on what is currently available.

I did buy about $200 worth of fabric last winter for a quilt class from the LQS that was giving the class. One of the reds shrank over two inches in width and had excess dye in it. The others shrank only about an inch per yard. (Kind of blew my mind that I spent that much on one project!)

I do have to admit - that I have not recently looked carefully at any of the quilting cottons available at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby or Walmart.

I need to shop my stash now!

However, in my stash, I do have:

Alexander Henry
Benartex
Hoffmann
Kaufman
Hoffman International
Kona
Peter Pan
VIP
Cranston
Moda (not very much)
Northcott
John Kaldor
Marcus Brothers
Springs Industries
David Textiles
and several other lines along with some "no name" fabrics.

I did have a few batiks, but they don't have info on the selvages, and I gave most of them away.
I'm not motivated enough to go downstairs to look at all the labels.

There is a difference between them - but - IMO, some of the differences are more in the line of "what I like in texture" versus "is this a 'fabric worthy of my time'".

I have noticed that sometimes there is even a difference in fabrics that have the same "name" on the selvage.

Do I "need" more fabric - I am still looking for about four yards of a John Kaldor. Other than that - not really.