View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by HettyB View Post
This one bugs me:

Can I ask you a question - which usually prefaces a request for information that is none of their business or as a ruse to making a snarky comment.

"Can I" - I don't know; can you? Do you have the power of speech? Are you asking via text, email, or semaphore
"May I" - This is seeking permission to ask me a question. Depending who you are, I might not give it to you!

There are some days at the museum where we have spent the day answering either off-the-wall questions such as "why did they build this building to look so old" (It was built over 600 years ago!) or sidestepping questions about our personal lives. (I may be getting old, but I am not one of the exhibits!).

HettyB
My standard response to "Can I ask you a question" is "You can ask". Or if I think they're a bit thick and won't get it I say "You can ask, but I might not answer". I agree it usually prefaces a question about something that is none of their business. To which I've learned to say "Why would you ask that?" or "Why do you want to know?" People can be highly annoying. I remember why I like my dogs so well.