View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by nana2
Often I find that getting myself organized helps the very most. I find it very difficult to sew if I know the laundry is stacked up, or the kitchen needing attention, or I haven't cooked a good meal in a few days. THEN there is the sewing room!!! If I make myself get that room in order and get my project organized, i.e. iron in convenient location, quilt pieces lined up, several bobbins wound and ready, etc. etc. I can enjoy a project that I've lost interest in. It drives me absolutely NUTS to have to look for sissors or have to stop to wind another bobbin or having to run to another room to find something I left there. The psychological thing for me is that I feel that I am neglecting my family if I don't have their laundry done or good food for them every night. However, I am LEARNING to expect my family to take some responsibilities for their own care and trying to drop that "guilt trip" for myself.
Nana, If I had to get all of that in place before I began working on my projects, I would never get to them. Although when my kids were growing up I did manage to get all of that done (not all at once though) -- there was always food on the table at mealtimes, clean laundry, etc. But now that the nest is empty, I seem to putter around more and more -- going in circles. So I just get to my sewing when I can and don't worry about much more. When something really needs to be done, I do it best I can. Priorities change over the years.