Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
tuckyquilter

Truly and honestly evaluate WHAT you really use on a machine. Many have machines that are way more than they really need. I, for example, don't need an embroidery machine. I have a friend with one and I just pay her to do a special label now and again, or embroider the label right on the backing before it's quilted. I also don't need a million fancy stitches. In the 60+ years I've been sewing I rarely use most of them.

I have never paid more than $200 for any machine I own (nine to date) NONE are new, none are computerized. The newest machine I own, a Janome 415 (low end)($125. dealer floor model) is the worst of the bunch. I have Singers ranging from a 1910 Treadle ($200), 1952 Featherweight ($200) to a 1967 Touch & Sew 600. A 1974 Sears Kenmore and a 1938 White Rotary Electric. All have very few parts to break, just clean and oil. They all serve me well. When my in-home sewing group meets several of the ladies just use my machines which is much easier than dragging theirs along. If there isn't a price behind the model, it was free or a gift. I do love my Serger, but it was a Christmas gift from my son & family.
But in the end, buy the machine you like and can afford. Try out the machines your friends own, as that is very helpful