View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 04:57 PM
craftyjulz

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Christmas of 1990 is when I suffered a rupture anyerism in my brain. When I got out of the hospital, on the way home, the radio was on, and the first song I heard was “Grandma got run over by a Raindeer”. For me, my bestie, and my two DDs, that song just says Christmas to us. I wasn’t sure I would be coming home, so that song represents overcoming adversity, so I hear it hundreds of time during the Christmas season, because everyone I know has to call and play it over the phone for me, to remind me how lucky I am. As silly as that song is, in our group it has come to represent the Christmas miracle I was given. I have a small collection of animated stuffed animals that play the song, because everyone has decided that is the best gift for me. They now form a ring under my Christmas tree before Chritmas. Every child that enters my house gets to pick one to play. It keeps us humble and laughing every year. What kind of things officially say Christmas to you?
Wow! You really went through it. I’m glad you’re still here to hear that song & can smile at life. Nowadays it’s almost like Halloween starts off the Christmas season & I don’t like that, it weakens the season I think when we get bombarded so early. Hearing the Salvation Army collection bells always signals the real Christmas season to me, even if I can only give small bits of change it’s that feeling of wanting to give that gets me.