View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 05:36 AM
w1613s

Default The Tree Did Not Win

Morning. Now that Thanksgiving 2018 is leftovers in the refridge, breathing space for Christmas 2018 exists. As I put away dishes and admired the leftovers in the refridge, it came to my attention that I was about to have a few quiet moments to sew.

First a confession. For me function is the day to day do-all. If it functions, pretty is nice: but, is it comfortable and does it do what I want it to when I want it to and DOES IT WORK in the long run is my real crown with stars.

So much for the lead-in.

Now is when organization is paramount! And to brighten my outlook, I meandered into my 'used to be the old, railroad car style kitchen' in this house and looked at how the vertical organization worked.

Old kitchen shelves. Tile splash backs. Soffits. Otherwise unused walls. Tiled counter tops; 20 some odd running feet of tiled countertops. A still functional divided sink. Now doorless cupboards - top and bottom; the 'under and over' that goes with the tiled countertops. Metal, almost floor to ceiling heavy duty shelving with wheels that usually appears in a garage and does go on sale at various places from time to time.

So, the first part of my suggestions is to 'soul search' your sewing area. And next is Command Hooks. But one of my more successful ideas turned out to be s-hooks allowing the metal shelving to be trimmed like a Christmas tree: design board, fabric strips and larger bits, a substantial and collapsable 3 step stool, - you get it. And s-hooks can come/be made in all sorts of weights (for heavy stuff AND lighter stuff) and can be moved at will.

Again, it isn 't pretty but man oh man, does it work! Adding lights and it is my sewing heaven.

The huge live oak tree that took out the house's roof as well as my sewing room's ceiling and one of it's interior walla about 14 months ago did not win the argument. I DID.

I wish you the joy and excitement I feel when I walk into my sewing room.