View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 11:05 PM
BARES

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Guess I used the wrong term when I said 'fresh bread', just that it would be a lot fresher than the really dried stuff most everyone else calls for.
BARES, Tothill and illinois can you give the amounts for your versions. I put in a LOT of sage for my remake version, I do the onions and celery in butter but still want the crust.

I made one recipe using raw sausage and eggs,it turned out like a meat loaf--but rather good.
The search continues.
WOW! I don't measure anything! I would guess that to a loaf or loaf and half of bread, I use a good cup to cup and half celery, chopped, cup of onion chopped, I don't use much salt in anything but I would guess 1 1/2 teaspoon full of salt. Sage - I love it so probably 2 tablespoons full. Mostly I just shake the spices and taste when I get it all mixed up. If it needs more of something, then I add it.

My SIL used to get so mad at me cause I never measured anything and couldn't give her a 'real' recipe. If I were going by my 'recipe' I would start with smaller amounts and adjust. Everything I put on here were estimates. My mother and my aunt were the best cooks and I am not near the cook they were. Mother had odd things she used as her measurers. She had a large coffee type mug that she used to measure flour to make biscuits. It looked like it would hold 3 cups of flour. But they were the best biscuits! Most of the time tho she would just make a well in the flour bin and put all the ingredients in it and mix them right there. I could never do that and get anything that tasted worth eating.