Thread: Iron Fire
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Snooze2978

Default Iron Fire

Yes, while pressing my blocks, the cord to my old iron caught fire. Luckily I didn't get burned but a few cinders dropped on my new silver fabric cover of my ironing board. I kept trying to blow the flames out and it kept igniting even after I was able to bend down to unplug it. Why it caught fire will never be known as the cord was in good shape. I had left the iron on for 2 straight days early last week though so that might have been the beginning of the end to this old iron. It wasn't one that had the auto-off option. It got nice and hot, was small and did a great job pressing my fabrics and blocks. Am sad to see it go but glad I was there when it happened. Can you imagine if it had happened last week what might have been the end result? I have bolts of fabric right under my ironing board for lack of space on the shelves plus a trash can nearby too so lots of stuff that would catch fire quickly.

Needless to say all ended up well, no more fires, the iron will be tossed as I'm afraid to just replace the cord as it might have been something inside the iron that caused the fire.

Went checking out irons online, checked the reviews on a number of them and have decided on one made by Chi.............yes they make flat irons for the hair which I have one of theirs and have had it for years. This iron I've ordered has a ceramic titanium pressing surface, 2 types of auto-off and a powerful steam so will be able to use it when I need to steam out fullness on quilts attached to the frame. If this iron works as good as it claims I might just order another one just for the quilt frame room.

I'm just so glad I was home when this happened though as I live in a 118 yo wood house with lots of fabric down here so it would have been one heck of a bomfire. I've brought in a surge protector which I'll attach to the wall at eye level so I can turn the power off completely to the iron when I'm done for the day. Guess I'm still rattled. Funny thing is I have my fire extinguisher located right above the iron station and never thought to pull it down to use.

Someone on Facebook who had been a firefighter says that though you think your iron is off there is still power going to it so reason for the surge protector to shut the power off completely. The iron was the only thing not on a surge protector down here too.

As I mentioned a few cinders burned pinholes in my new silver fabric ironingboard cover I was afraid the cotton batting underneath might smolder and catch fire so I poured water down each hole to soak it plus I stayed downstairs for a couple more hours to make sure nothing ignited again.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-28-2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all cpas